A medical scandal that rocked the industry has officially concluded with the harshest penalty for the doctor who once discriminated against a Muslim woman’s veil. Moving beyond controversial remarks, he brazenly challenged authorities by surreptitiously continuing to practice medicine while under suspension. The full truth behind his defiance of the law and the total collapse of his career will leave everyone stunned.

GP who asked Muslim woman to remove her veil ‘because he was struggling to understand her’ is struck off for continuing to work while suspended

Doctor who repeatedly asked Muslim woman to remove her veil struck off

A GP who continued working after being suspended for asking a Muslim woman to remove her veil has been struck off.

Dr Keith Wolverson was suspended for misconduct after he repeatedly asked the woman to remove her niqab during an appointment, which she eventually did.

He later said it was because she ‘spoke poor English’ and he was ‘struggling to understand her’.

Doctor 'impaired by misconduct' for asking Muslim patient to remove veil |  The National

But her English was fluent and native, a tribunal found, and his response to the complaint had been dishonest.

During his nine-month suspension he continued to undertake work, and went against the ‘explicit advice’ he had been given by a misconduct panel.

Due to his ‘flagrant disregard for the regulatory process’ and his failure to attend the Medical Practitioners Tribunal hearing, he has now been struck off.

In 2022, Dr Wolverson was found guilty of or admitted a total of 17 charges of misconduct, relating to incidents between January and May 2018 while working as a locum at urgent care centres in Derby and Stoke.

One incident at Royal Stoke University Hospital saw him ask a Muslim woman, named only as Mrs Q by the tribunal, to take off her niqab three times during a consultation on May 13, 2018, saying he could not hear her describing her daughter’s symptoms.

She refused his initial request, saying she did not want to for religious reasons, but he then repeated it.

Dr Keith Wolverson has been struck off after he was suspended for asking a Muslim woman to remove her veil

Dr Keith Wolverson has been struck off after he was suspended for asking a Muslim woman to remove her veil

Her husband complained and the woman told a hearing that she felt ‘victimised and racially discriminated’ against during the consultation.

In an email later that month in response to the complaint, Dr Wolverson said she ‘spoke poor English’, and that he was ‘struggling to understand her’ and was ‘trying to look at her mouth movements to aid communication’, which the tribunal deemed to be dishonest.

It was also found that Dr Wolverson refused to speak to Mrs Q’s husband despite his attempts to communicate with the doctor, which Dr Wolverson later claimed was because he ‘found his manner aggressive and intimidating’.

Dr Wolverson’s legal representative admitted the doctor had been ‘insensitive’.

In other incidents, he wrote in the notes of 15 patients criticising their English speaking skills and those of their relatives between January and April 2018, claiming it was ‘unacceptable’ and ‘not good enough’.

Doctor who faces inquiry for asking a Muslim to lift her veil says he will  quit after 23 years as GP | Daily Mail Online

At a review hearing in 2023, Dr Wolverson said that in the years he was practicing before his suspension he had not asked any other patients to remove their veil and there had been no ‘repetition of his misconduct’.

Since his suspension in October 2022, he said he had reflected on the incidents, had considered how he would handle similar situations differently and ‘deeply regretted the comments he made in the patients’ medical notes’.

He told the tribunal ‘it would be completely wrong to maintain the suspension and prohibit a doctor further from doing his duty to his patients when there are such grave shortages within the NHS currently’.

Dr Wolverson said at the time: ‘I have undertaken training about Medical ethics, Honesty and Probity.’

The tribunal ruled that Dr Wolverson had not ‘provided evidence of his increased insight into his actions to a sufficient level’ and so his ‘fitness to practise remains impaired by reason of his misconduct’.

The tribunal decided not to extend his suspension but imposed conditions on his registration for a further 12 months.

During his suspension he continued to undertake work and went against the 'explicit advice' he had been given by a misconduct panel

During his suspension he continued to undertake work and went against the ‘explicit advice’ he had been given by a misconduct panel

He later returned to work under supervision due to ‘grave shortages within the NHS’.

However, in 2024 it was uncovered that he had undertaken locum shifts while he was suspended back in 2022.

Now a tribunal has found he had ‘disengaged’ with the process and the consequences of his misconduct entirely.

The tribunal decided that there was a risk of repetition and that he should be struck off.

Emma Gilberthorpe, chairing the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service hearing, said: ‘When considering sanction, the Tribunal reminded itself of the nature of the misconduct and Dr Wolverson’s ongoing lack of insight and remediation.’

She added: ‘The Tribunal noted that Dr Wolverson has not worked since 2022. This was a real concern with regards to deskilling. There was no evidence to demonstrate that he has kept his knowledge and skills up to date.

‘The longer he failed to engage with the regulatory process, the greater this risk became.

‘Although the original allegation did not in itself establish current risk to patient safety, his continued lack of practice and disengagement meant that risk had now developed and increased over time.

‘The Tribunal was of the view that Dr Wolverson’s continued failure to engage, combined with a prolonged period out of practice, undermined public confidence.

Doctor who asked Muslim woman to remove veil could be struck off -  Staffordshire Live

‘The public would expect reassurance that such concerns were being addressed, and in the absence of any engagement or evidence of remediation, that confidence was diminished.

‘Dr Wolverson had failed to use previous periods of suspension constructively, had remained disengaged throughout, and had shown a persistent and flagrant disregard for the regulatory process registration.

‘The tribunal concluded that any lesser sanction would fail to address the current and ongoing risk to public protection and would not adequately reflect the seriousness of Dr Wolverson’s misconduct.’

Related Posts

THE TRUTH UNTOLD: The image of the two couples, William and Kate, and Harry and Meghan, walking hand-in-hand amidst the sea of ​​flowers outside Windsor Castle was hailed by global media as a symbol of ʀᴇᴄᴏɴᴄɪʟɪᴀᴛɪᴏɴ within the British Royal Family following the ᴘᴀssɪɴɢ of Queen Elizabeth II. Yet, beneath those polite smiles and that historic moment lay a scenario of agonizing strain. A close source has recently revealed the true reaction of the Princess of Wales, laying bare the ᴜɴᴠᴀʀɴɪsʜᴇᴅ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ.

The image of Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, walking alongside Prince Harry and Meghan Markle outside Windsor Castle after Queen Elizabeth II’s passing was seen…

VOGUE WILLIAMS DECIDED TO CHANGE HER BABY’S NAME AT THE LAST MINUTE DUE TO A SPECIAL FEAR. Would you dare name your child after a music legend if your entire family objected? Recently, a famous TV presenter reluctantly abandoned the name “Elvis”, which she had intended to give her little one, just weeks before her due date. The reason behind this decision involved not only family opposition but also another concern.

Vogue Williams has revealed that she and her husband Spencer Matthews have made a last-minute change to their baby boy’s name, despite previously being certain about their…

𝔼𝕏ℙ𝕃𝕆𝕊𝕀𝕍𝔼: The news of Harry and Meghan’s official return to the UK after a six-year absence has completely overshadowed the Royal Family’s annual holiday at Balmoral Castle. Faced with this situation, King Charles III and Prince William held an urgent meeting to align their stance and safeguard the family’s image. Ultimately, William made a decisive move.

The announcement that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are officially returning to the United Kingdom after six years away has created a major stir within royal circles,…

THE RISKY DECISION OF 2005 AND THE NEW YEAR’S EVE GIFT THAT CHANGED GUY FIERI’S LIFE. In December 2005, Guy Fieri faced one of the most difficult choices of his life. Upon learning he had made it to the semi-finals of “The Next Food Network Star” competition, he found himself conflicted rather than celebratory. The odds seemed stacked against him: he was busy running three restaurants back home, his confidence was shaken by a previous failure on another show, and most importantly his wife, Lori, was in the final stages of pregnancy. Leaving his family for three weeks during such a critical time to fly to New York was a massive gamble. Yet, a single remark from his wife gave him the strength to make his decision.

In December 2005, Guy Fieri found himself facing one of the biggest decisions of his life. After receiving the news that he had advanced to the semi-finals…

When news of the relationship between Bobby Flay and Brooke Williamson exploded in the media, many assumed she was simply the new woman in the life of America’s most notorious culinary heartthrob. Yet, within the professional culinary world, Brooke Williamson has never been a name that needed to bask in anyone else’s spotlight. Long before she won over Bobby Flay’s palate with her exquisite fermented pancakes, she had already proven her own mettle.

When Bobby Flay and Brooke Williamson’s relationship became a topic of public conversation, many people first viewed the chef as the newest romantic partner in the life…

BOBBY FLAY RETURNS IN A HIGH-STAKES REALITY SHOW. Food Network has officially announced the launch of a brand-new reality series titled “Bobby Flay’s The Line,” premiering on September 8, 2026, at 9:00 PM on HBO Max. Beyond the new pressures, the show features a ʙʀᴜᴛᴀʟ secret.

Bobby Flay is returning to the spotlight with a new high-pressure culinary reality series that promises to bring viewers closer than ever to the intensity of a…