THANK YOU, MR PRESIDENT — YOUR GIFT TO BRITAIN IS RATHER HARD TO ACCEPT. Relations between Harry and the U.S. President have hardly been warm, with the Duke previously publicly challenging Trump over his remarks about NATO and Afghanistan. Now, the Sussexes are suddenly preparing to bring their entire family back to Britain — and Trump’s supporters have wasted no time taking credit. That is because some believe Harry and Meghan’s latest move has a reason directly connected to Trump — but it may not be quite what the public thinks…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (pictured in April) are reportedly moving back to the United Kingdom - six years after leaving for the US

Six years ago, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left royal life behind and eventually settled in California, creating a new future thousands of miles from Buckingham Palace.

Now they are heading back.

But as news of their extended return to Britain spreads, an unexpected political argument has emerged in the United States: did Donald Trump help make America considerably less attractive to the Sussexes?

Allies of Donald Trump have suggested the couple is leaving the US because of the president

According to a Daily Mail report published on August 20, 2026, some of Trump’s MAGA allies have seized on that possibility, openly mocking Harry and Meghan as they prepare to relocate to Britain with Archie and Lilibet.

Katie Miller, wife of White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller, offered perhaps the bluntest interpretation:

“They are moving back to Britain because they don’t like President Trump.”

She was responding to reporting that Harry and Meghan “have made no secret of their disillusionment with the current White House.”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, pictured in February, are understood to be returning for an 'extended period', with Archie and Lilibet already enrolled at a British school

Miller did not stop there. In separate posts, she claimed Meghan “always just wanted to be a celebrity” and described the couple as “broke.”

Those are Miller’s claims, however, not established facts about the Sussexes’ finances.

Conservative commentator Megyn Kelly was similarly delighted by the news. Responding to a post from Dan Wootton describing Megxit as being “reversed,” she wrote:

“We’ve done our time here in America my dear friend!”

The reaction is striking because California was supposed to represent something entirely different when Harry and Meghan moved there in 2020: distance from royal controversy and the opportunity to construct an independent life.

Six years later, Britain is becoming a major part of their lives again.

But Trump alone cannot explain everything.

Katie Miller, wife of White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller, was among the MAGA group who reacted: 'They are moving back to Britain because they don¿t like President Trump'

Harry and Trump Already Had History

Tension between Harry and Trump had surfaced publicly before the Sussexes’ decision.

After Trump suggested NATO allies had “stayed a little back” during the Afghanistan war and questioned whether NATO would support America if necessary, Harry responded personally.

The Duke served in Afghanistan and emphasized that NATO allies had answered America’s call under Article 5.

“Allies answered that call,” Harry said.

Then he made his response considerably more personal:

“I served there. I made lifelong friends there. And I lost friends there.”

Against that background, suggestions that the current American political climate contributed to Harry and Meghan’s decision are understandable.

But they remain suggestions.

Neither the information presented nor the Sussexes themselves establish Trump as the definitive reason for the move.

Indeed, another explanation may be just as important.

Harry reportedly believes Meghan has recently received a warmer response from the British public. He was said to have been encouraged by the attention surrounding his wife during a recent Birmingham visit.

Harry has also reportedly missed Britain and has been eager for Archie and Lilibet to experience the country where he grew up.

Now that desire is becoming reality.

Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, are thought to have already enrolled in a British school (the family are pictured in December 2025)

Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, are believed to have already enrolled at a British school, with reports suggesting the family could remain in Britain until the children complete their education.

Yet this is not a restoration of their old royal life.

Harry and Meghan will live in a non-royal residence and remain private individuals rather than working members of the Royal Family. Sources insist returning to the royal fold is not their “plan.”

King Charles reportedly “welcomes” the opportunity to see more of his son and grandchildren privately, while remaining clear that there will be “no alteration” to Harry and Meghan’s royal status.

That makes another detail particularly awkward.

When Harry, Meghan and their children met Charles and Camilla privately at Highgrove earlier this summer, the Sussexes reportedly did not mention their impending extended return.

Charles apparently learned about it only on Sunday.

The Highgrove reunion had nevertheless represented meaningful progress. It was the first time Charles had seen Archie and Lilibet in four years, and Harry hopes his father will join him in opening next summer’s Invictus Games in Birmingham.

While one royal relationship may be improving, another remains frozen.

Harry and William are not believed to have spoken for years. William and Catherine were reportedly “deeply hurt” by allegations in Harry’s memoir Spare.

Royal author Phil Dampier believes reconciliation remains extremely difficult, saying that although the brothers previously put aside their differences for the unveiling of Princess Diana’s statue, “things are much worse now.”

Next year marks 30 years since Diana’s death, potentially creating an opportunity for the brothers to appear together.

Dampier doubts William wants it.

“Friends tell me that, as far as he is concerned, Harry is the past,” he said, adding his opinion that William may “never forgive Harry” over his departure and the controversies surrounding Spare, the Netflix programme and Oprah Winfrey interview.

The article also revisits allegations that Meghan bullied palace employees and was nicknamed “Duchess Difficult.” Royal correspondent Valentine Low has claimed some former employees remained psychologically affected and “viewed her capacity for revenge as infinite.”

Meghan has vehemently denied the bullying allegations, describing their publication as an orchestrated smear campaign.

All of this makes the Sussexes’ return much more complicated than a simple story of two people fleeing Trump’s America.

They are not even completely abandoning America.

Harry and Meghan intend to retain their approximately £11 million Montecito home. They also own property at Costa Terra in Portugal, purchased in 2023, where the family recently holidayed.

Their future therefore appears increasingly international rather than simply British or American.

And perhaps that is what the MAGA victory lap misses.

Trump’s allies can celebrate the Sussexes’ departure and argue that the President helped drive them out. Britain can speculate about whether Harry is reversing Megxit.

But Harry and Meghan appear to be doing something more ambiguous: keeping California, maintaining Portugal and rebuilding a substantial life in Britain without returning to royal duties.

Six years after escaping one complicated world for another, the Sussexes are heading back toward the place where their most difficult relationships remain unresolved.

Whether they are running away from Trump or running back toward Britain may therefore be the wrong question.

They may be trying to do both.

Related Posts

CHARLES MAY BE WELCOMING HIS SON BACK — BUT THE REAL BILL COULD ULTIMATELY LAND ON WILLIAM’S DESK. Harry and Meghan are not returning as working royals, so on paper, the Palace does not need to change anything. Archie and Lilibet will attend school in Britain, Charles will have his grandchildren closer to him, while the Sussexes continue their private lives. It sounds like an almost perfect arrangement. But there is one consequence of this arrangement that may only truly emerge when Charles is no longer the one making the decisions — and by then, William may no longer have the easy choices he has today. A heavy burden is already beginning to cast a shadow over William’s future…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported return to Britain can easily be presented as a family story: a son moving closer to a father undergoing cancer treatment,…

THERE’S ONE PROBLEM WITH THE STORY THAT HARRY AND MEGHAN SUDDENLY DECIDED TO RETURN TO BRITAIN: THEIR FOOTPRINTS WERE ALREADY THERE LAST YEAR. The Sussexes are now believed to be preparing to settle in the Cotswolds, with Archie and Lilibet potentially attending a local prep school. Their secret July visit appears to have given them an opportunity to scout the area before making a final decision. But it was only when a local property source revealed that the couple had apparently been quietly making inquiries about exactly this that the pieces began to fall into place. The Sussexes may have been keeping a major plan under wraps for far longer than the Palace — or the public — ever realised…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s return to Britain may have been presented as a dramatic reversal, but the clues surrounding the Cotswolds suggest something far less spontaneous….

IF YOU THINK HARRY IS DRAGGING A RELUCTANT MEGHAN BACK TO BRITAIN, FRIENDS OF THE SUSSEXES ARE TELLING A VERY DIFFERENT STORY. Harry has never stopped feeling British, so his desire to bring Archie and Lilibet back to his homeland is hardly difficult to understand. The real surprise is Meghan, with sources insisting that she has not simply agreed to the move but is “fully behind it.” She is preparing to swap the California sunshine for a life in a country where she once spoke openly about loneliness, privacy concerns and the restrictions of royal existence. A trade-off this big is unlikely to be simply about Harry missing home — and what Meghan stands to gain from the move may be the most revealing part of the entire story.

Six years ago, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left Britain convinced that their future lay elsewhere. California offered distance from royal life, room to build commercial careers…

HARRY AND MEGHAN MAY NOT HAVE SIMPLY WOKEN UP ONE MORNING AND DECIDED TO MOVE BACK TO BRITAIN — SOMEONE SAW THIS COMING A YEAR AGO. Last September, Harry was already telling friends that he wanted Archie and Lilibet to be educated in Britain, while one source even revealed that Charles “is delighted.” At the time, it sounded like a plan for the distant future, particularly as Meghan was said to be less than enthusiastic about boarding-school culture. Now the two children have reportedly been enrolled in British schools, and the entire family is preparing to return within days. But Richard Eden says those seemingly disconnected clues were part of something bigger — a plan with a name he only learned later — and bringing the Sussexes back to Britain may have been just the first step.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s return to Britain may look sudden, but some of the clues were apparently hiding in plain sight. The most important was not…

HARRY MAY COME BACK, CHARLES MAY OPEN THE DOOR — BUT WILLIAM STILL HAS ONE REASON NEVER TO DO THE SAME. The brothers have been through the dog-bowl episode, the allegations in Spare, and years of barely speaking to each other. Now Harry is returning to Britain, potentially putting even greater pressure on William to reconcile. But there is one detail in the Sussex–Wales feud that makes all those previous wounds suddenly seem secondary. William may not have been Harry’s real target, but the damage reached somewhere far more personal — and that may be the reason the door to reconciliation remains firmly shut.

Prince Harry does not need Prince William to forgive him for his return to Britain to have consequences. He may only need to be there. That is…

WILLIAM CAN’T FIGHT BACK — HARRY HAS DRAGGED HIM INTO A WHOLE NEW MESS. The two brothers have been estranged for years following Spare, Netflix and a string of allegations involving Catherine as well. California once provided the perfect distance, allowing William to focus on his family and his future on the throne without having to confront Harry directly. But now the Sussexes are preparing to return, just as Harry has an opportunity to grow closer to Charles. And one seemingly small change created by this homecoming could make it far harder for William to keep doing what he has done for years.

Prince Harry does not need Prince William to forgive him for his return to Britain to have consequences. He may only need to be there. That is…