Only a few months ago, Prince Harry painted a bleak picture of his family’s future in Britain.
After losing his legal battle over the level of taxpayer-funded police protection available to him in the UK, Harry suggested that the security situation meant he could not comfortably bring Archie and Lilibet to his homeland.

“I think it’s really quite sad that I won’t be able to show my children my homeland,” he told the BBC.
Now, just months later, those same children are reportedly preparing not merely to visit Britain, but to live and attend school there.
So what changed?

That unanswered question sits at the heart of the Sussexes’ surprise return.
According to a Daily Mail report published on August 20, 2026, Harry and Meghan are preparing to live in Britain for an extended period. Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, are believed to have already enrolled at a British school, while the family will live in a private, non-royal residence.
Their status will remain unchanged: they are private individuals, not working royals.

But that creates an immediate practical problem.
Who protects them — and who pays?
The Court Battle Harry Lost
Harry’s security dispute followed a decision by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures, known as Ravec, that he should receive a different level of protection after stepping back from frontline royal duties.
Harry challenged that arrangement.
His legal team argued that the threats facing him had not disappeared simply because he was no longer a working royal. They also pointed to his military service as a factor placing him at particular risk.
But Master of the Rolls Sir Geoffrey Vos ultimately rejected Harry’s case.
The judge acknowledged that Harry’s arguments were “powerful and moving,” but concluded that his sense of grievance did not amount to a successful legal argument.
The result was significant: taxpayer-funded armed police bodyguards would not simply be reinstated for Harry, Meghan, Archie and Lilibet.

At the time, that outcome appeared to place a major obstacle between Harry’s children and Britain.
Now the family is coming anyway.
The Missing Piece of the Homecoming
There is currently no confirmed answer to the obvious question created by that reversal.
It is unclear whether Harry has received any new security assurances from the Home Office. It is equally unclear whether additional costs connected with protecting the Sussexes during an extended period in Britain could ultimately fall upon taxpayers.

The Home Office and representatives for Harry and Meghan were contacted for comment.
Until more is known, it would therefore be wrong to claim taxpayers definitely will — or definitely will not — fund additional protection.
What can be said is that Harry’s circumstances have changed dramatically.
A security arrangement he previously described as preventing him from showing his children his homeland is apparently no longer preventing Archie and Lilibet from beginning a life there.
And security is not the only unresolved issue surrounding the return.
Charles Wasn’t Told at Highgrove
Harry, Meghan and their children were already in Britain in July, approximately two months after the Court of Appeal ruling.
They secretly met King Charles and Queen Camilla at Highgrove in Gloucestershire. It was reportedly the first time Charles had seen Archie and Lilibet in four years.
The meeting appeared to represent progress.
Harry is understood to want to repair his relationship with his father and hopes Charles will join him at the Invictus Games in Birmingham next July. Charles, meanwhile, is said to “welcome” his son’s return.
Yet there is an extraordinary complication.
Harry and Meghan reportedly said nothing to Charles during the Highgrove meeting about their plans to return to Britain for an extended period.
The King apparently learned of the move only on Sunday.
That makes the timing particularly striking: Harry was rebuilding his relationship with his father while apparently keeping one of his family’s biggest decisions from him.
And Then There Is William
If Charles represents an opportunity for reconciliation, Prince William remains the much larger unknown.
Harry and William are not believed to have spoken for years. William and Catherine were reportedly “deeply hurt” by allegations contained in Harry’s memoir Spare.
Whether Harry intends to address that estrangement after returning remains unclear.
It creates another unusual contradiction. Harry will soon be geographically closer to his brother than he has been for years, while their personal relationship may remain as distant as ever.
Meanwhile, Harry and Meghan are not abandoning the independent commercial life they created after leaving royal duties in 2020.
They intend to continue their business ventures and retain their approximately £11 million home in Montecito, California.
The move is not necessarily permanent, and the location of their British residence has not been disclosed for privacy reasons.
Before the longer-term move emerged, Harry had already planned to return next month for the WellChild Awards and was expected to stay in a room at Buckingham Palace.
Now an occasional visit has become something much bigger.
The article also revisits allegations surrounding Meghan’s treatment of palace employees during her previous time in Britain. She was accused of bullying staff and was reportedly given the nickname “Duchess Difficult.”
Royal correspondent Valentine Low has claimed some former employees remained psychologically affected, saying: “They viewed her capacity for revenge as infinite.”
Meghan has vehemently denied the bullying allegations and described them as part of an orchestrated smear campaign.
Those old controversies underline how many unresolved issues the Sussexes are bringing back with them.
But security may be the most immediate.
Harry fought in court for the protection arrangements he believed his family required. He lost. He publicly lamented what that meant for his children.
Three months later, Archie and Lilibet are reportedly preparing to go to school in Britain.
Perhaps Harry has found another solution. Perhaps circumstances have changed in a way that has not yet been made public.
For now, however, nobody has publicly filled in that crucial blank.
Harry has apparently solved the question of whether his family can return.
The unanswered question is who will keep them safe — and who will pick up the bill?